Friday, August 24, 2012

Cuba Green

I love these Cuba Paris fragrances.  Even though most of them tend to mimic other well known fragrances, they do smell good, are well constructed, have awesome cigar-shaped bottles, and just do everything really well for a ridiculously low price.  Cuba Green is no exception.

Cuba Green is an aromatic fougere in what I call the "post-powerhouse" style of the early Nineties.  It smells like a cross between Escape For Men and Horizon.  Though it's a lot less fruity than Escape For Men, it has the same semi-sweet herbal/woody smell that Escape and so many other early 90's fragrances have.  There are strong dark wood elements in Cuba Green that smell dry and charred, just like in Horizon. 

Despite its name, I don't find this fragrance particularly green smelling.  It's got herbal notes like rosemary and basil, but they're so well blended with the woody notes that they lose a lot of their green smell.  Usually I'd complain about that, but Cuba Green smells so aromatic and well balanced, I don't mind at all.  What's more, the fragrance stays nice and dry from start to finish, and I appreciate that.  The drydown is excellent - aromatic, sandalwoody and mossy.

I'd love to give full marks to most of these Cuba Paris fragrances, but since most of them are far from unique, I don't feel like I can do that.  The same goes for Cuba Green - I love the way it smells, but it clearly mimics that early 90s aromatic style.  If it weren't so derivative, I'd give it a 9 out of 10 simply because it smells so good.  As it stands, however, it gets a respectable 8 out of 10.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  8/10

4 comments:

  1. It's good for the price but these days I'm going to reach for vintage Tsar or something along those lines instead. I agree with the Escape for men comparison, especially beyond the top notes, which you are likely aware I try to avoid as much as possible anyway. If I couldn't get the Tsar for a good price (and others like it), however, I'd probably still be wearing Cuba Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one I recently ordered without having smelled it first. After I'd ordered it, I read your review on Fragrantica, saw your reference to Escape, and I thought, "Uh oh". That's not because I don't like Escape For Men (I really like it), but because I already own so many fragrances that are similar to it, and I don't need any more. Luckily I find Green offers a lot more than just an Escape clone; the similarity is obvious, but I really like the dark wood notes in Green.

      The longevity for Green is incredible too. I put it on at 7:30 last night, now it's 9:30 a.m. - 14 hours later - and I can still smell it on me. And it's not my shirt I'm smelling either!

      Delete
  2. I think I will have to get this one, because I don't think I have anything that smells like Escape. I have only smelled Escape in the store and I thought it smelled pretty good. Not only that but Escape costs way more than Cuba Green. I stayed away from the Cuba Paris fragrances because everyone seems to say the longevity sucks and bash them because they are kncokoffs, but that hasn't been my experience with Cuba Gold or Cuba Red(you just have to be heavy handed with the sprayer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cuba Gold is a great fragrance! Review on that one is coming soon. I have a whole bunch of Cuba Paris frags, and I plan to review all of them.

      Delete