Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cuba Red

If you're new to the world of tobacco fragrances, and you want to get your feet wet in the genre, this is the fragrance to get.  It's got one of the better and more authentic renderings of the smell of tobacco, and what's more, a big 100 ml. bottle can be bought for less than $10 US.  I've had a bottle of this for a few years, and believe me when I say that I would pay $40 or $50 for a bottle of this stuff.  It's that good.

Cuba Red smells like the cigar grade of tobacco, as opposed to pipe or cigarette tobacco, and is a hot, fiery rendition of it.  It's strong, manly and extremely aromatic.  Like with most tobacco perfumes, I don't know if there's real tobacco absolute in this, but if there isn't, whoever composed it did a damn good job replicating the smell and aura of tobacco.  Any woody and herbal notes in this are there for one reason only: to boost up the tobacco-fueled power of the fragrance.

This scent will appeal to not only fans of tobacco scents, but also to patchouli fanatics.  There is an huge amount of patchouli in Cuba Red, so much that this could just as easily pass as a patchouli fragrance as a tobacco one.  It will appeal both to hippies and loan sharks equally.

I've read complaints about Cuba Red's longevity and sillage.  I don't have a problem with either.  I think the problem is that people go too lightly on the trigger.  This is a strong, bold scent, but don't go all wimpy when you wear it.  Some tobacco scents, like Acqua di Cuba or Creed's Tabarome, have a quiet, aristocratic, gentleman's club air about them. Cuba Red is all about tequila shots, lap dances and barroom brawls.  So unfasten a few of the top buttons on your shirt, let your chest hair show, and spray away.  Don't be afraid.  Just like Aramis' Havana, this isn't a fragrance meant to be worn quietly.  Wear it proudly.

If you don't own a bottle of this, then get off your ass and order one now.  This juice rocks.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Cuba Paris

8 comments:

  1. Got a miniature sample of this and find it exactly as you described it.Longevity is poor, but since it doesn't cost much, using it liberally will do the trick.Quite a bargain for a relatively unique scent such as this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had tried a sample vial many years ago, and I didn't get great longevity out of it either. You really need to buy the big 100 ml. bottle. I have the big bottle, and it allows you to really spray it on thick, which provides much better staying power. I can smell it for a good 6 or 7 hours that way.

      With the small 1.1 oz. bottle or the sample vial, I only got an hour or two.

      Delete
    2. This is a frag that needs to be sprayed, not splashed on.

      Delete
  2. I got the 1.1 oz.atomizer shaped exactly like a cigar, which makes for quite a deco among your grooming stand-not like the Dildo-shaped one. I would love to buy bigger bottles, of course, but not knowing the scent in advance I prefer purchasing samples first. Do you know why the longevity of a fragrance would depend on the size of the bottle ? Somehow makes no sense to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably just comes down to my own personal habits. I used to have the 1.1 oz. bottle, and I guess I never sprayed it enough, or the atomizer just squirted out dinky little spritzes, I don't know. It's probably that the big bottle's atomizer throws out more juice. I'm sure there is no difference in the fragrance itself LOL

      Delete
  3. You should give Cuba Gold a try. It's like a smoother, less sweet version of Le Male. The vetiver in it is nice. It's what I wear when I don't know what else to wear. Much more versatile then Le Male. I really like it a lot. Insanely cheap stuff. Just tried layering Red and Gold together and like what I'm smelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I like Cuba Gold, and have a small bottle of it; I just haven't reviewed it yet. I agree with your description of it being a much less sweet take on Le Male.

      Delete
  4. I think something needs to be mentioned about the sprayer on these things. Maybe the best one I've used on any bottle. Just a lovely fine mist of spray. The only other one I've tried that was close was on a bottle of Acqua Di Parma It's amazing how cheaply made even a lot of expensive bottles are.

    ReplyDelete