Sunday, August 19, 2012

Herrera For Men - Initial Impression

I only sampled Herrera For Men with a couple of spritzes on my wrist and arm yesterday.  I normally wouldn't write a review with such a cursory wearing of a fragrance.  However, my utter revulsion in smelling this was so extreme, with a fragrance that's considered a bonafide classic, I couldn't just sit still and ignore it.  Knowing I should give Herrera For Men a full day's wearing before doing a real review of it, I'm writing this with the caveat, "Initial Impression".  Also, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this fragrance in the "Comments" section.

Perhaps Herrera doesn't work well with my skin, I don't know.  What I do know is that yesterday I experienced one of the most vile, obnoxious scents to ever sully my skin.  It smelled like Indian curry spice mixed with Wings For Men.  I got a loud, piercing, synthetic, metallic smelling floral top note on top of what smells like fenugreek and cumin.  I waited about an hour and a half in the hope that this nasty accord would fade into some kind of mellower middle stage or drydown, but it never happened.  I could still smell this atrocious stench with the same intensity as when it first hit my skin.   By the 90-minute mark, I couldn't take it any more, and I threw in the towel.  I pulled into a gas station, went to the Men's Room and tried scrubbing it off with soap and a paper towel.  It helped a little, but I could still smell this obnoxious juice on the top of my arm during my drive home.

I do plan on giving Herrera For Men a full day's wearing when I get a sample of it, because it is a classic, and it must be for a reason.  Also, I have to admit that it's quite a unique fragrance, especially for its time.  I've smelled other 90's fragrances that smell somewhat like it, but they all came after Herrera.  Wings For Men was a miserable attempt at this style.  With its crass curry spice smell, Herrera For Men smells like a niche fragrance trying to be an 80's powerscent, and doing it badly.

Please feel free to post your comments on this one.  I'd really like to know if I'm reading this fragrance all wrong, or if it's just a matter of personal taste.  Or maybe the tester I used was spoiled?

Fragrance House:  Carolina Herrera

11 comments:

  1. I first got this 20 years ago when it had just come out. It was actually quite good - very strong, but obviously well-made. Fast-forward to last year. I bought another bottle from a major online retailer. Absolutely hideous. I'm certain it has been radically reformulated and not for the better. It's such a huge letdown when this happens. Same with the original Armani PH, and so many other good ones, that get 'up-trended' and then suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the tester I used was an old or new version. Even if it were new, it smelled far from trendy for today's tastes. I could see this having been popular in the early 90's, right before the aquatics took over.

      Delete
  2. I'm speechless, except that now I really want to read your review of Wings for Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a review for Wings a year or two ago for the Il Mondo di Odore blog, but it was deleted from the blog, along with all of my other review. Why, I have no idea.

      Delete
  3. I am a bit surprised at your initial reaction to HfM, though i can relate to it, especially re the metallic top-notes. HfM is quite a challenge, scent-wise, and not for the faint hearted. I have used it since its launch a while back. Something has definitely been tweaked in its formula over time, though i still like it. I am sure you will come round to appreciating HfM after some full wearings ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's definitely strong, that's for sure, but this is one strong frag that I found disgusting. I need to get my hands on a good sample vial so I can try it out again. This frag has gotten tons of accolades for a reason.

      The "curry" note is what grossed me out the most. It smells like immortelle, though I don't see that listed as a note. I don't like immortelle.

      Delete
  4. I agree with your assessment. This is not a good fragrance, imo. I bought it blind and it is one of the few bottles I had to swap away. I had read that it was Angelina Jolie's favorite fragrance, which intrigued me, but it must've been the pre-reformulated version (or she has very different taste than mine) because this stuff is unwearable frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shamu ... remember Basile Uomo ? ... you did a complete flip on that one ..
    Well give this a few wears over a few months .... & maybe a few years from now you may understand why this is considered a classic by many afficionado's ... cheers D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely will try it again. I need to get my hands on a sample so that I can wear it a couple of times for a full day.

    Besides it being a classic, the reason I'm intrigued by this scent is because of its uniqueness, even though I didn't like the way it smelled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pre-review of CH for Men really intrigued so when I saw a tester at Superpharm I had to try it. I definitely cen smell what seems like the curry note but I does not bother me. In fact I can't stop sniffing my arm now (it's been there for about 3 hours now). My wife can also smell the curry note and she says she likes it. Actually I am far from an expert in fragrances but the one fragrance that CH reminds me of is Guerlain's Coriolan with a similar culinary note which was love at first sniff but didn't hold on my skin. Anyway I find CH for Men very attractive not in spite but because of the culinary note. I think I will order a bottle. Thank you for drawing my attention to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Herrera For Men es una de las fragancias más divinas y masculinas que he probado. Afortunadamente tengo un buen pH para las colonias y perfumes. Esta es sin duda una de mis joyas. Aún lo uso y tiene una fijación tremenda. La estela que deja es arrolladora y las mujeres derriten al percibirlo. Incluso he estado en reuniones y y han llegado a darse cuenta que impregno todo lo que toco. En fin un aroma que recomiendo a los amantes del buen gusto. Maravillosa !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete