Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lime e Basilico

Lime e Basilico (Italian for "Lime and Basil") smells good, but it's not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for.  I love the smell of fresh basil, and the basil is definitely up front and center in this fragrance, along with the lime.  My problem is with the way the basil is blended into this cologne, because it smells like the lime and the floral notes have softened the basil's edge.  The basil smells green, but it lacks the sharp, crisp quality that I love about fresh basil.  The fragrance is almost too well blended, to the extent that the basil has a blob-like green smell.  Again, not bad, but not what I was hoping for in a basil fragrance.

It's certainly a delightful smell, though.  Everything smells like it came right out of Mother Nature's basket, with nothing smelling even remotely synthetic.  On the other hand, the lack of synthetics is also its biggest weakness: the fragrance has no backbone or staying power at all.  You get a wonderful green herbal and citrus accord for the first half hour, and then the scent just about disappears.  That's a shame, because the drydown has a base of vetiver and patchouli, two smells I also love, and I can just barely smell them.  If I grind my nose into my hand, I can smell the base a tiny bit, and it smells aromatic and green, but mushy.  Unfortunately that's what usually happens in all-natural perfumes.  I don't know for sure if Lime e Basilico is an all-natural scent, but it smells and performs like one.  This is a niche fragrance that goes for $85 a bottle, so I expect better performance than this, even if it's only an eau de cologne in concentration.

Despite my criticisms, however, I'm giving this a thumbs up.  It smells very green and thus very good, and I can't disregard that.  Also it's important to note that other people have reported experiencing good longevity with this fragrance, so I realize that it just may be that my own skin doesn't hold onto the scent for long. 

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Gandini 1896

No comments:

Post a Comment