Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Valentino V Pour Homme

I remember thinking this was generic and trendy when it first came out six years ago, and back then it probably was.  Smelling it now, I have a completely different opinion of it, and I like it a lot.  It may not be the most masculine smelling fragrance in the world, but it's different from anything else I own and smells good.

How can I describe Valentino V?  It's not a glamorous description, but I guess I'd call it a woody and spicy semi-gourmand.  It starts off extremely sweet and rich, with an A*Men-like blast of sweet coffee, some kind of fruity note, and patchouli.  It's both sweet and aromatic, with some nice soft, glowing, quiet floral notes to balance off the sweetness.  This could just as easily pass as a woman's fragrance.  And that, believe it or not, is something that appeals to me because it doesn't neatly fit into the industry's idea of what a men's fragrance needs to smell like.  It smells velvety and dark purple, as if it's saying to the guys, "Go ahead.  I dare you to wear me".  Plus, the heavy patchouli calls out to me anyway.

The drydown is great too, and is more masculine smelling.  The scent loses most of its sweetness, and it becomes powdery, yet dry, aromatic and woody.  If I were to compare the drydown to another fragrance, I'd say imagine the glimmering spiciness of Eau de Cartier, but with dry powder added.  There's also a slight Sung Homme-like soapiness in the drydown that works well with the aromatic notes.  I like this very much!

Valentino V would fit nicely in my wardrobe right next to A*Men and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, to wear on those days when I'm not in the mood to wear my usual old classics.  It smells modern and stylish, but not so much that you need to be under 25 years old to pull off wearing it.  This is a cool fragrance.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Valentino

2 comments:

  1. It's impossible to find this scent...

    Do you know if it was discontinued?

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're right, it is hard to find now. I had no idea until now. Amazon.com has it still, but it's very expensive, with prices that lead me to believe that it is in fact dc'ed. $250 for a 100 ml. bottle of a Valentino scent is insane, so I'm guessing you're right.

      Delete