Sunday, August 26, 2012

Yacht Man Blue

It's a shame that Yacht Man Blue has such poor staying power and sillage on me, because the scent itself is quite good.  It doesn't smell blue or aquatic at all, but instead is a light aromatic fougere with some nice aromatic green herbal and floral notes and a dry, musky base.  It doesn't fall into the trendy trap of the boring drydown of sour, sharp synthetic cedar; rather there's a nice balance of tonka bean, musk, sandalwood and very light leather, which provides a creamy and powdery, yet dry, end stage of the scent.  I was surprised that such an inexpensive fragrance with a trendy name could have a unique character like this.

The huge problem with it all is that I can hardly smell it.  Everything I've described above is what I can detect only if I literally press my nose up against my skin.  This is one of the few fragrances I've ever worn that literally has no sillage.  Spraying my body all over with Yacht Man Blue makes no difference.  Longevity is terrible too; after about an hour, the scent is completely gone from my skin.  This is disappointing even for a fragrance as inexpensive as this one.  I can tolerate poor longevity in such a cheap fragrance, but I cannot deal with not being able to smell it at all.  If this weren't so weak, I'd have given it a much better score, probably a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Despite my criticisms of this, don't be afraid to take a chance with Yacht Man Blue.  It may just be that it doesn't agree with my skin type.  It smells really good, when you can smell it, and it costs under ten dollars for a big 100 ml. bottle, so we're talking about a low risk purchase.

MY RATING:  6/10

Fragrance Type:  Myurgia

3 comments:

  1. I often wonder about these reviews, because other than a few Adidas, Cuba, and Samba fragrances, I haven't tried many of the "super cheapo" variety, and the few I have I didn't like. On the other hand, I have been impressed with some dollar store fragrances I've recently sampled (though as you might expect the longevity is not great, which is not an issue for me). So, I'm wondering whether this is related to expectations ($10 a bottle versus $1) or if I just happen to like the "clones" and not the "super cheapos" that try to be at least a bit unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you already aren't crazy about the super cheapies, then Yacht Man Blue certainly isn't going to change your mind. It smells good, but it's nothing spectacular, and its terrible longevity and sillage is infuriating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yacht Charter Dubai Fishing lovers project out at sea with a leader and a team of a Yacht Charter in Dubai that will educate them about the amazing things of the sea

    ReplyDelete