Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cuba Brown

Having reviewed a couple of mediocre fragrances by Cuba Paris - Cuba Brazil and Cuba Royal - it's nice to get back on track and review a good one from this line, like Cuba Brown.  Like most Cuba Paris fragrances, Cuba Brown isn't particularly unique, and it seems almost like a knockoff of something else I've smelled before, even though I can't identify what that is.

Despite it's name, Cuba Brown isn't a tobacco fragrance, but rather a leathery spicy one.  Leather isn't listed as a note, but there's a sweet oiliness underlying the core spicy notes, and the whole fragrance smells leathery to me.  It's a greasy, alcoholic smell I also detect and enjoy in more old school styled fragrances like English Leather and Dunhill For Men.  It works well in Cuba Brown because without it, the spicy and woody notes (I smell coriander and cedar) would be too abrasive and would take over the scent.  I don't know what creates this leathery sweetness, but whatever it is, it balances the fragrance out nicely and gives it a long lasting masculine aura.

Reviews I've read compare Cuba Brown to Herrera For Men and Catalyst For Men.  I can detect the Herrera similarity in its underlying sweetness, but it doesn't have the nasty curry spice smell of Herrera.  As for Catalyst, I smell no similarities to it - Catalyst is a far spicier fragrance than Cuba Brown.

Like with all Cuba Paris perfumes, the price of this can't be beat, and you get a very good fragrance that stays rock solid for its entire duration, that projects well, and lasts at least eight hours on skin.  Cuba Brown isn't great, but it's a good, solid masculine smelling fragrance that will garner compliments from people around you.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Cuba Paris

3 comments:

  1. hope the dreamer review is soon, I bet you give it an 8 or 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on these "super cheapos" a year or so ago. Some are certainly decent, but when you've got a 100+ better ones, some of which are similar, it doesn't make sense. And I'm afraid of becoming a "hoarder." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - it doesn't make a lot of sense to own so many fragrances. But at least half of the cheapies I own are ones I bought simply trying to boost my online order price enough to get free shipping. If I'm going to have to pay $5.99 for either shipping or an extra fragrance, I'll take the fragrance with the free shipping. It's a great way to keep my blog alive too.

      Delete