Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Patchouli by Demeter

With all the expensive niche brands cranking out patchouli fragrances like there's no tomorrow, it's nice to see that there are still reasonably priced, good quality patchoulis out there.  Demeter's Patchouli is one.  I think I paid $25 for my huge 120 ml. bottle.  What a deal!

It's exactly what it says on the label - patchouli.  There may be a few other ingredients in this other than patchouli, but I can't really smell them.  The only reason I suspect there's a little more than just patchouli oil in here is because this perfume has rock-solid stability, with no mushiness or wimping out in the drydown.  No - you get a nice woody, earthy patchouli scent from beginning to end.  At no time will anyone suspect you're wearing anything other than that.  That might not sound like a big deal, but trust me, I've tried my fair share of mediocre patchoulis that go all flaccid and murky after a couple of hours.  Not Demeter's.

Though I love patchouli and I like Demeter's version, this is not the kind of fragrance I reach for very often.  I prefer strong, rip roaring patchoulis that knock you on your ass.  Demeter's is light, transparent and discreet.  It's definitely got the earthy hippie smell that I like, but it's a subtle perfume, where you never get a full blast of patchouli.  Instead you get small wisps and hints of it when you wear this fragrance; it's the kind of scent people will notice is in the room, but it's subtle, even mysterious, and they won't be able to tell where it's coming from or who's wearing it.  If I sniff my wrist up close, I hardly smell a thing, but I can detect the scent floating around me for hours.  This is an interesting facet of Demeter's Patchouli, even if it's not my usual style.

This perfume deserves a big time thumbs up.  It's a great fragrance for someone who wants a lighter but still earthy version of the patchouli note.  It smells like it's 100% natural, it's very reasonably priced, and its scent lasts a decent amount of time, about 5 or 6 hours.  It's a pure patchouli fragrance, unlike the vanilla cookie patchoulis churned out by niche brands like Montale and Bois 1920.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Demeter

No comments:

Post a Comment