Monday, September 24, 2012

Sandalwood by Auric Blends

Let me get something out of the way first: if you're of the mindset that Indian Mysore sandalwood is the only sandalwood worth smelling, and that all other types of sandalwood are shit, don't bother with this fragrance.  You're just going to be disappointed.  I'm realistic about sandalwood these days, which means I'm able to enjoy all types of them, including Auric Blends' Sandalwood.

Auric's website describes this as containing a variety of sandalwoods, as well as green notes and amber.  I can tell there's more than one type of sandalwood in this, but the fragrance doesn't strike me as green at all, nor is it sweet like amber.  Instead, it smells predominantly powdery and floral, and quite old fashioned.  It's a dry powder smell like what you get in old classics like Zizanie and The Baron, and it's very strong. 

Although the floral powder smell is strong, you can tell right away that there's sandalwood here.  You can smell the sandalwood's characteristic buttery, deep, meaty smell underneath the powder, and it becomes more and more prominent with time, as the powder smell fades.  Of course it doesn't have the heavy creaminess of Indian sandalwood, but it does have a somewhat milky smell that is enjoyable and sets it apart from other wood oils.

Auric Blends' Sandalwood is an enjoyable fragrance and I like it, but I don't love it.  The powdery aspect makes it unique for this genre, but it's not really what I want when I'm in the mood to wear sandalwood.  When I want to wear sandalwood, I either want the warm, rich type or the spicy, sharp style of sandalwood.  If I want powder, I grab my bottle of The Baron, not a bottle of sandalwood.

Despite my one criticism, I do recommend this perfume if you're looking for a change of pace with your sandalwood fragrances.  It certainly is different and interesting.

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Auric Blends

No comments:

Post a Comment