Sunday, September 9, 2012

Spanish Leather Cologne

Spanish Leather is one of those purchases I regret having made.  I remember sampling it a couple of years ago, thinking it was pretty good, and ended up buying a full bottle.  It also gets rave reviews on both Basenotes and Fragrantica. 

I don't understand what everyone thinks is so great about this fragrance.  I find it just so-so on its best day, and most of the time I consider it mediocre.  First of all, after the first fifteen minutes of top notes, I smell no leather at all in this.  This is more the smell of saddle soap, which is used to clean leather goods, than the smell of leather.  I do smell a light, sweet oily scent when I first splash it on, which is enjoyable.  That must be the leather note.  However, it's gone within minutes, and then Spanish Leather becomes Spanish Soap. 

This is a very light, thin, boring soap scent, nothing more and nothing less.  It doesn't smell terrible, but it smells like a generic, all purpose liquid soap smell.  Imagine English Leather (the current version by Dana), but with all of the leather and wood notes removed from it - in other words, with its balls removed - and you've basically got Spanish Leather.  Spanish Leather only wishes it could be even half as good as Dana's English Leather, a fragrance that costs about one-tenth of the price of this Trumper frag.  It's also a total weakling: sillage is almost non-existent, and even worse, the scent disappears completely from my skin after an hour and a half.

I generally like Geo. F. Trumper's fragrances; I own both Eucris and Wild Fern and love them both.  However, this one's a dog.  Granted, $70 for a 100 ml. bottle doesn't seem bad for a niche fragrance, but considering how un-leathery and flat this smells, its woeful longevity, and how you can buy a big bottle of the far superior English Leather today for $7, I have no hesitation in saying that Spanish Leather sucks.

MY RATING:  5/10

Fragrance House:  Geo. F. Trumper

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on this one, a flat uninteresting supposedly spicey leather, spiey leathers to my nose are the poorest leathers anyway, and this ones a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. My bottle will probably be going on the swap block very soon.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this. It's saving me some bread. I smelled this in San Francisco in a barber shop and was tempted to spring for it. I held off due to concern about Trumper longevity based upon some disappointing results from other bottles in their line (especially West Indian Limes-I've had sneezes that lasted longer). At first sniff it seems like a winner - heavy oily leather but apparently that's ephemeral in the extreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You got that right. I only smell leather for five minutes in the top notes, which is weird for something usually used as a base note. Yeah, it's old school, but it's boring. Besides, what good is it if it's gone in an hour?

      If I want this kind of scent, I just stick with Tabac Original. The scents are somewhat similar in their soapiness, but Tabac smells a thousand times better and it lasts 12+ hours on my skin.

      Delete