Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bijan Black

My tastes in perfume have been expanding over time, and I'm starting to at least accept, if not appreciate, some of these so-called "Black" fragrances (e.g., Polo Black, Ferrari Black, Bulgari Black, etc.) that are so popular.  Bijan Black is one that I hated when I wrote a nasty review of it on Basenotes.net a couple of years ago.  As time passed, however, I'd forgotten about Bijan Black.  I figured now would be a good time to give it a second chance, and I'm glad I did.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing exciting or particularly unique about Bijan Black.  It's not even all that much different from other "Black" fragrances, in that it's sweet and smells like it contains tonka bean and amber.  The reason I like Bijan Black is because it's a well balanced and blended fragrance that is equally spicy, woody and sweet.  Most sweet woody orientals start off strong and spicy, but by the time the drydown arrives, all you get is sweet amber or vanilla.  Boooooooo!!! 

Bijan Black isn't like that.  You can smell the spices and woody notes in the beginning, obviously, but they manage to hang around for hours, fortunately.  That way, when you hit the drydown, you're not just smelling mushy cookie dough - you get a warm, spicy and aromatic sweetness that is never overbearing.  Bijan Black is relatively linear, with not a lot of development, but that's fine by me when it smells this good in the beginning and manages to smell pretty much the same hours later.

My only gripe is that I wish it were a touch stronger.  Bijan Black is definitely a skin scent, so this is one you'll want to wear only for your own enjoyment.  The only people who are going to smell it on you are those snuggling up to you.  Staying power, however, is quite good, at around seven or eight hours.

We don't always have to wear exciting fragrances.  Sometimes you just want to smell good, plain and simple, with no frills.  Bijan Black is for those times.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Bijan

No comments:

Post a Comment