Thursday, October 11, 2012

Eau d'Ikar


Eau d'Ikar is a tough fragrance to rate.  On the plus side, it's totally unique, unlike anything else I own, and deserves full credit for doing something different.  On the downside, it's crudely constructed and doesn't smell that good after a while.

It smells incredible at first: strong citrus with a very earthy, grassy smell, sort of like lemons mixed with grass and fresh soil.  It's green, crisp, unique and wonderful, and I thought I found the perfect citrus chypre.  Unfortunately things go downhill fast after that.  Eau d'Ikar loses a lot of its green earthiness, which is replaced by a harsh, synthetic rose note.  I love the smell of rose, but here it's sharp, smells like a chemical, and is quite obnoxious.  It's a heady, irritating smell that takes over the fragrance and distracts from whatever good things Eau d'Ikar may have to offer.  It's like someone blended Egoiste with Charlie, two fragrances that are dissimilar and should never be blended together, and the result is a most annoying scent.

Despite my criticisms, I can't give this a negative rating because it's so unique.  I wish more perfume brands would have the guts to release something this unusual.  Eau d'Ikar, despite its "Pour Homme" designation on the bottle, smells more like a typical women's perfume than one for men, so this is pretty daring stuff for a guy to wear.  I like that aspect of it.  I respect this fragrance, but I don't like the way it smells.  If I want a floral chypre or something similar to this, I'd much rather wear Annuci Original. 

On the other hand, because Eau d'Ikar is so different from everything else in the market, you ought to give it a try if you can, because you might love it.  You'd better sample it first before forking over the dough, however, since we're talking about $165 for a 100 ml. bottle of this juice. 

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Sisley


UPDATE 10/11/12:  I looked up the note pyramid on this, and apparently rose isn't listed.  Whatever it is in Eau d'Ikar, it smells like a synthetic rose oil, and ruins the scent for me.  Maybe it's the mastic I'm smelling?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could get the heart and drydown the way you. To me they are simply boring and generic. And to make things worse, the opening is really beautiful and unique but lasts only a few minutes. One of the most anti-climactic fragrances I have ever tried and it's a pity because the lentisque note in the opening is real and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. I thought I found a holy grail or something when I first sprayed it on. Those earthy green notes in the beginning are incredible. But it's that damn harsh floral note in the middle that ruins everything for me.

      Actually, I'm glad I didn't end up liking this very much, because I just saved myself $165! LOL

      Delete