Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Realm For Men

I'm pretty impressed with Realm For Men, a drugstore cheapie that smells a lot better than it has any right to.  Allegedly containing pheromones, this is marketed as an aphrodisiac fragrance that's supposed to make you more attractive to women.  And you know what?  It really does have a sexy smell.  It may not be the strongest or loudest scent in the world, but it's brash, impolite and full of hairy chested powerhouse spirit.  Any fragrance that says right on the box that it's going to get you laid is pretty macho in my book.

I'd call this a strong woody musk, which I find unique; I haven't smelled many woody musks, and certainly none that smell like this.  The musk is really powdery and strong, and spicy notes like cinnamon and ginger give the scent some aromatic bite.  There are strong, sharp wood notes that become more prominent as time goes on, and Realm becomes more aromatic over time. 

What makes Realm a particularly sexy fragrance is a weird oily, aldehydic, gristle-like smell underlying everything.  It's what makes Realm For Men so unique and masculine.  It smells skanky and dirty.  I suspect the pheromones are creating the effect, since I get the exact same vibe from Marilyn Miglin's Pheromone For Men, another pheromone bomb.  I also smell something like this in Etat Libre d'Orange's awful Sécrétions Magnifiques, a vile disaster of a scent that's supposed to depict the smell of blood and semen.  Fortunately, Realm utilizes the effect in a way that improves the fragrance.

Realm For Men is a hard perfume to judge by simply sampling it.  You really need to wear this all day to get the right feel for it.  I used to hate it a few years ago, and it wasn't until I wore it for a day that I finally came around and ended up liking it.  It's a pretty complex fragrance, and you need a few hours with it to take it all in.  Don't be afraid to wear it like a powerhouse either, so spray it on liberally to get the full effect.

Realm is a ballsy fragrance that is so different from what's popular today, and for that reason alone, it's worth a try.  Sillage and staying power are also very good.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Erox

3 comments:

  1. sounds like it might be one for Joop fans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually this was my first, serious EDT purchase (original Polo aftershave was second) in the mid-90s. I still have those 2 original bottles,one fourth full. I remember that there was some hula-baloo back then about the pheromone content in Realm. Unfortunately, the 'mone that is in Realm/men is actually Estrataetrenol which is produced by women...therefore, this is the one that is actually supposed to attract men. Whereas, the Realm for women version actually contained the 'mone that men produce, namely androstadienone which is suppose to attract women. Weird, but true..go figure. I believe that the reason that Erox did this was that they were worried about date rape lawsuits. Anyway, the quantities of pheromone in these were modest. I think that the aim was not only to affect the target of the wearer, but also for the wearers themselves to have an increased self-confidence.

    Anyway, the scent is a pleasant fougere. Still like it on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say this frag makes me more self confident, but it smells damn good.

      Delete