Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Izod


What a pleasant surprise this was! I got so sick of seeing Izod's cheap-ass bottle in every drugstore I've walked into during the past few years, I decided to finally sample it, just to get it out of the way. With the blue aquatic look of its bottle and preppie name, I knew I was going to hate it.

Well the joke's on me, because this is actually good! It's a woody spicy aquatic scent, like so many others, but I like it because it leans more toward the dry spicy end of the spectrum, rather than the aquatic. It's got the standard strong citrus opening, sharp woody heart and watery texture for this type of scent. The "marine" note is nicely restrained, so it never overpowers the fragrance with a chemical or chlorine smell.

What sells Izod for me is the way it actually becomes darker and spicier the longer you wear it. It's got an anisic or black licorice quality in the drydown, as well as a dark woody smell, which comes from incense. Supposedly there's a tobacco note in here too, and even though I don't smell tobacco, I suspect it's blended in to add darkness to the drydown. I don't know many aquatic fragrances that do that.

Izod is a good, solid, inexpensive fragrance that can be enjoyed even by guys who don't like aquatic scents. It's accessible enough to appeal to the average consumer, yet it's got enough depth and complexity to please fragrance enthusiasts. Izod is a winner.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

Fragrance House: Izod

No comments:

Post a Comment