Monday, October 29, 2012

Khaliji

I'm new to the whole Al-Rehab line of perfumes, and I recently bought six of them - Dakar, Superman, Balkis, Original, Silver and Khaliji - online.  With a price tag of only $3.50 U.S. for a good sized vial of concentrated perfume oil, plus the fact that this line gets consistently good reviews, I couldn't resist.  So far, I am very impressed.  These Al-Rehab oils smell better than a lot of good designer and niche fragrances I've tried.  Based on my experience with these six perfumes, I get the sense that the ones with English-language names are knockoffs of designer perfumes, while the others (I believe the names are Arabic), like this one, are original compositions. 

Khaliji is a men's fragrance, and though it borrows ideas from other well known scents, it's quite unique.  I guess I'd call it an animalic floral musk.  At first it smells dry and powdery, a clean, pearly white musk with light flowery notes, and just a hint of dirtiness.  As time goes on and the oils assimilate with the warmth of your skin, the scent gets stronger (which is common with these Al-Rehab oils), and the raunchy note gets stronger.  Within an hour or two, the scent becomes very dirty and musky, and the floral notes recede into the background.  Khaliji remains this way until the end, and I really like that.  Longevity and projection are of course both excellent.

I don't smell any civet, castoreum, or any other animalic oils in here.  Rather, what I describe as an "animalic" facet smells like it's from a blend of cumin and caraway.  It blends seamlessly with the musk, a note I've always believed should smell animalic.  Khaliji reminds me a lot of Cartier's Declaration in its underlying skankiness, but without any of the citrus notes. 

It amazes me how complex and well constructed this fragrance is, when you consider its price.  An unethical niche brand could pour a vial of Khaliji into a 1 ounce bottle, add perfumer's alcohol to it, give it another name, sell it for $100 a bottle on LuckyScent.com, and get away with it.  The high quality of Khaliji and the Al-Rehab perfumes I've tried makes me even more cynical about niche fragrance brands.  Khaliji is that good.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Al-Rehab

10 comments:

  1. Really glad you've taken the plunge with the Al Rehab line - I've wondered what you'd make of them for a while now. I have Khaliji, albeit in an EDP spray, and I like it a lot. I've also got Lord in an oil roll-on which is a copy of Lapidus Pour Homme and is 12/10 on the strength scale! I also have Aseel (Rose & Oud) - more feminine than masculine but VERY nice fragrance, and Secret Man (Fruity, aquatic, generic) - not a bad frag but not my style. I'm definitely buying Superman now though - thanks shamu for giving me the final push..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on Secret Man. I was considering that one, but your description sounds like something I wouldn't like.

      Delete
    2. I need to get Lords. A 12/10 on the strength scale?? What would you rate Lapidus? If this is stronger than Lapidus, then that's scary. I'll need to have a good plastic surgeon on hand while I'm wearing Lords.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy what you write, but I'm super excited that you're reviewing these Al-Rehab oils. I'm going to see how the transaction goes with their merchant and if all is well I'm going to snatch a few more of these, before prices go up! It's amazing how inexpensive they are, yet such high quality. And there's literally dozens of scents in their lineup. Their web site is a little clumsy, but I was able to call up their list of oils, and could not believe how prolific they are - they say they're from the mid 1970s, so I guess that's plenty of time to create quality wares. Please keep these reviews coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you're quickly going past your ten bottles in your collection.

      What's great about the oils is that a tiny bottle lasts a very long time. It's like hiding a nuclear bomb in your pocket. I've now worn all six of the ones I bought, and I'm amazed at how complex and how much depth all of them have. I love how when you first put them on, they're not particularly impressive, but as the oil blends into your skin over time, they get more complex and stronger.

      At these prices, you could buy their entire line for less than the price of one bottle of niche perfume.

      Delete
  3. Can anyone tell me which site i can get these Al-Rehab fragrances from??
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered Superman and Dakar online both under $6.00 on eBay (this INCLUDES the shipping) from India.

      Khaliji is selling at eBay right now, http://tinyurl.com/9a3l7yq out of Atlanta, GA, for $6.75 and I've hit that, too. For these prices I'll try anything once, although I suspect from Shamu1's reviews (and reputation!) these will be great and I'll be on to some more good stuff! Precisely why I love coming here!

      Delete
    2. Richard check out the comments under Super Man for the link to a major merchant for these that Shamu provided.

      Delete
  4. I would have to say that Lord is stronger than Lapidus pound for pound! One or two small drops creates nuclear sillage which seems to last forever. When it arrived in a parcel at work I discreetly unwrapped it and put one drop from the rollerball on my wrist and rubbed my wrists together - what a mistake!! My female colleague came back in the office and immediately said - "what's that smell? It's very strong". I said, "Unpleasant strong?" to which she replied, "Not particularly, just VERY strong"!! I don't know if I dare to wear it again....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!
    Will give these Al-rehab`s oils a go.

    ReplyDelete