Saturday, October 20, 2012

La Nuit de L'Homme

I wish YSL would just discontinue L'Homme and this flanker, La Nuit de L'Homme.  YSL L'Homme has to be one of the lamest, most pointless fragrances I've smelled in the past ten years, and La Nuit de L'Homme is just as bad.  Both define "generic", "uninspired" and "dull".

If you've smelled YSL L'Homme, then you already have a good idea of what La Nuit is like.  L'Homme represents everything that is wrong in the world of designer perfume today: it smells of abrasive, highly synthetic aromachemicals, it's got overpowering synthetic wood and citrus notes, and it's sweet.  It smells like the color purple blended with metal.

What is this?  You thought this was a review of La Nuit de L'Homme.  Well, it is.  La Nuit simply smells like L'Homme with more amber.  It smells like screaming chemical violet leaf blended with lipstick and vanilla.  It smells fucking terrible.

On the plus side, I suppose if you already like L'Homme you'll like this.  As for me, I can't take any more of these cutie pie fragrances for men.

MY RATING:  2/10

Fragrance House:  Yves Saint Laurent

8 comments:

  1. What's interesting is that I have tried the original a few times and really detested it, to the point where I didn't even want to try and "dissect" it, but I like this one and find it quite different, though I have yet to study either in fine detail. What I've found is that if you are not in the mood for Nuit it can be really irritating, but wearing it a couple times a year might work out for me. Also, I rarely wear this kind of fragrance, so to me the generic factor is not nearly as bad as for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the mood to wear something like Nuit today. It's happened before, and sometimes I change my opinion. But as of right now, I don't smell a single redeeming quality in this at all. It smells like another Ed Hardy-type frag. I can't stand this style of fragrance.

      Delete
    2. I think you should give this another try. Macho? No, but it's a quasi-gourmand that I would consider one of the better designer bottles in the last few years.

      Delete
    3. I'll take your word for it, but it's going to be a while before I try this one again. To give it a fair sampling again, I need to be in the mood to wear it, and it's hard for me to get in the right mind set to sniff this one.

      If I change my opinion of it, I will definitely revise my review.

      Delete
  2. The best experience I had with it is when I sprayed it on a blanket a few hours before I went to bed, so I'm thinking that one possibility is to spray it on a shirt you are going to wear from a distance of 2 feet or so, the idea being that you want a very diffuse application as well as a light one. If you try that let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question you posted on Connect For Him, I love animalic dirty frags because they smell like the opposite of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha! Thanks for having answered.

    ReplyDelete