Thursday, October 11, 2012

Musk Marine

I shouldn't like Musk Marine anywhere near as much as I do, since I generally don't like clean musks, nor do I like sport fragrances.  I love this scent.  Hands down, it's my favorite clean musk, even more so than White Musk For Men by the Body Shop, another great clean musk.

First off, this is not an aquatic fragrance.  I think the "Marine" in the name is due to the fact that this fragrance has a certain breezy aura to it, sort of like a sea breeze.  There is no "marine note" or Calone in Musk Marine.  This is one of the simplest fragrances I own, and is basically synthetic white musk with small amounts of mint, orange and ginger added to the musk to give it brightness and color.  That's all it is.  It's made of inexpensive materials, with a formula that's as bare bones as it gets.  And you know what?  It smells unbelievably great.

Musk Marine isn't even unique, refined or creative.  I can assure you that you've smelled something just like this in the drydowns of countless 90's styled sport fragrances, from Polo Sport to Pleasures For Men.  What makes Musk Marine so good is that you get the pure, unadulterated scent of those drydowns, without all the sharp edges and irritating synthetic top notes of the more mediocre sport fragrances.  Musk Marine is smooth as silk, without a single rough spot.

If you try wearing this for the first time, don't be thinking to yourself, "Hm, shouldn't I be wearing a Guerlain right now?".  Don't worry about the fact that Musk Marine is cheap and is mostly synthetic.  Who gives a shit?  No, the key is to just kick back, loosen your collar, and just enjoy it for what it is.  It's the perfume equivalent of comfort food.  It's a cheerful, uplifting smell that warms the heart and makes you feel great.

Call me nuts for giving this such a high rating, but sometimes you just want to smell good, not elegant or refined.  Just like Bijan Black, Old Spice and Canoe, Musk Marine is a fragrance for those times, and that's why I love it. 

MY RATING:  9/10

Fragrance House:  Avon

No comments:

Post a Comment