Thursday, October 18, 2012

Perceive For Men


Avon is great because you can take risks and buy their fragrances without smelling them first, without doing a lot of damage to your wallet.  I now own several Avons, and all of them have been "blind" purchases.  A few of them are stinkers, but I've enjoyed the vast majority of the ones I've bought.  Perceive For Men is yet another good one.

Though most of Avon's men's fragrances are derivative of other more popular and expensive designer perfumes, Perceive For Men tries to blaze its own trail.  It's nothing that will shake up the world, but it doesn't smell like just another dull Ed Hardy or Calvin Klein scent either.  It's a woody citrus fragrance, mislabeled as a chypre; it has no bergamot, labdanum or oakmoss, so how is this a chypre?  It doesn't even smell like one. 

What separates this from the usual boring designer woody citruses is the way everything is blended - instead of getting a sharp, biting scent with prickly rough edges from overpowering synthetic wood notes, in Perceive the citrus, herbs and wood notes coalesce to create a nicely rounded, bright, but still powerful, scent.  Though this isn't a powerhouse or an Eighties fragrance, the citrus and herbal notes together remind me of the opening and middle stages of old school power scents like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui and Halston Z-14 - shiny, tart, slightly sweet, and mossy, even though moss isn't listed as an ingredient.  The drydown is particularly good and aromatic, with well blended patchouli, cedar and musk, bringing the fragrance to a nice spicy closing act.  A teeny dab of vanilla in the base gives everything a slight hint of warm sweetness, and it rounds everything off nicely.

My one complaint with Perceive, as with a lot of Avons, is that it's somewhat crudely constructed.  There's a strong, very long lasting grapefruit note in here, and although it smells good, it's a bit overpowering with its astringency, and I wish it were fine tuned better with all the other notes.  Perceive could have been better blended, and as a result, it smells somewhat like an unfinished fragrance.

All criticisms aside, at the end of the day the only thing I think of is, "Does it smell good?".  And I say, "Yes, it does".  Perceive For Men projects well, lasts a good six or seven hours, has a pretty unique smell, and costs very little money.  How can you go wrong?

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Avon

5 comments:

  1. OK, it's time for a review on one of the heavy hitters on basenotes(LIDGE, DHI, Aventus...) just to see if you have the same perception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's LIDGE? I assume DHI is Dior Homme Intense? Never tried Aventus, nor do I have a sample. Few perfume brands excite me less than Creed.

      Delete
  2. L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense, and Aventus are highly praised there if you ever get a chance to sample. Sometimes I think some are worth it, other times(Green Irish Tweed) I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. I have L'Instant de Guerlain and Dior Homme, the regular versions, and I do need to review them. Problem is, I only write reviews when I feel inspired, and I'll only pick frags that I'm in the mood to review. Otherwise, I write shitty, uninteresting reviews. I think both LIDG and DI are awesome, five-star frags, but I just haven't gotten that surge of inspiration that has driven me to review them yet. I love both of them, but I never wear them - I have two big 100 ml. bottles that just sit in their boxes. I've been writing about inexpensive frags recently because they happen to be what I've been wearing recently.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great, if you ever order samples from theperfumedcourt.com or surrendertochance.com, you might want to try LIDGE also. I haven't sampled the original(LIDG), but I think most reviews say the extreme version is quite a bit better.

    ReplyDelete