Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Dreamer

The Dreamer is another love/hate fragrance, and I don't know why.  It's unique, but I wouldn't call it iconoclastic.  It's been called "The Screamer" by some people who hate it, but it doesn't smell all that powerful or loud to me.  I find it to be a smooth and comfortable fragrance to wear, and I like it.

Even though there are a lot of notes listed for The Dreamer, on my skin it's a linear, straightforward tobacco scent, and none the worse for it.  Some tobacco fragrances smell like cigars (Cuba Red, Quorum, Cuba), some like tobacco leaves (Acqua di Cuba, Moods Uomo), and some like burnt tobacco (Michael Kors For Men).  The Dreamer, by contrast, smells like unsmoked cigarettes.  Anyone who smokes will appreciate this description: it smells like the inside of a pack of cigarettes.  Non-smokers might not be familiar with this smell, but trust me, it smells nice regardless of whether or not you smoke.  It's a clean, soft woody smell, with a hint of paper in it.  The Dreamer smells exactly like that, only with a touch of sweetness and spiciness to give it depth.

The other thing that stands out is how powdery The Dreamer is.  It's not a sweet, heavy powderiness, but rather a dry powder smell.  It blends really well with the tobacco note, and does not become overbearing.  I like this aspect of The Dreamer.

That's about all I can really say about The Dreamer.  It basically smells like a powdery pack of cigarettes from start to finish, with not much development during the journey.  That's fine with me because I like the way The Dreamer smells when I first spray it on, and I want that smell to last, which it does.  Sillage is moderate, as it should be, and it lasts about 7 or 8 hours on my skin, which is just right.

I really like The Dreamer for its soft texture and unique style.  It's a fragrance I don't find myself in the mood to wear very often, but it's good to know I have a bottle when the mood hits.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Versace

5 comments:

  1. I read someone say that the reformulated Dreamer has stronger tobacco up front. I recently acquired a bottle (don't know if it's the old or new because it didn't come with the box) and I did get a tobacco blast at first. Also, I find that it smells terribly synthetic if you smell it up close on the skin but quite nice from a distance. I haven't given it a full wearing in years (just a dab sample to the ankle with the new bottle) so after I do that I'll write up at least a Fragrantica review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what Quorum is to you, Dreamer is to me, perfect! So, I'll say 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to give Dreamer another try. I sampled it a while back and don't remember what I thought of it but figure I can't have been blown away otherwise I'd have remembered it! I like the sound of the unburnt cigarette smell - I'm not a smoker but both of my parents are and I like the smell of unburnt cigarette tobacco - very distinctive smell. Hey bigsly - is the ankle your application spot of choice? I've sprayed my belly a few times with stronger frags to see how it works but the ankle? I'd have to go sockless (Miami Vice style?!) and would keep falling over trying to sniff my foot!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its a solid fragrance. A bit overrated i believe. I get about 6 hours on my skin and enjoy wearing it every now and then. Definitely worth a purchase if you can get it cheap. I don`t love The Dreamer nor do i hate it. A solid 7/10 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derbyman: I usually wear crew length socks and apply just above the sock line, perhaps an inch or two. I can then lift my pants leg just a little and waft it up to my nose with my other hand. I can also smell it up close that way, but I guess if you are very muscular that might be a bit of a problem.

    ReplyDelete