Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alyssa Ashley Musk

Alyssa Ashley's Musk was released in 1968, at a time when hippies were going around wearing essential oils like musk, patchouli and amber.  This fragrance was intended from the very beginning to be for both women and men, as the style of packaging and the man/woman symbols on it suggest.  The funny thing is that I know of very few men that wear this; just about all the reviews you'll see are written by women.  This doesn't make any sense to me, because I don't find it to be especially feminine smelling, nor is it particularly masculine either, for that matter.

Alyssa Ashley Musk isn't genderless or androgynous, but rather it's the kind of perfume that molds itself to whoever wears it, whether it be a man or a woman.  Though I'm not a big musk fan in general, the one quality I love about it is how it naturally blends well with the natural scent of human skin.  The smell of a good musk perfume doesn't just lie on top of your skin - it will assimilate and become one with the smell of your skin.  The one type of musk that doesn't do this well for me are most white musks, which end up smelling like laundry detergent, and that's why I don't like them.

Alyssa Ashley Musk has the clean lightness of white musk, but manages to blend beautifully with skin.  It's not a dirty, skanky musk at all, yet it is unmistakably musk, and it has the trademark powderiness that most white musks have.  This is a white musk I can wear, because I never feel like I just sprayed myself with Woolite.  Its transparency is one of its greatest assets, because it never overpowers and it allows your natural skin scent to become part of the fragrance.  That's why I can't imagine this fragrance smelling bad on anyone, whether it be a man or a woman.

I can't really say much more about what it smells like, because it's a pretty simple, straightforward clean, powdery musk, and not much else.  It doesn't evolve much over time, yet it always feels perfectly balanced, and "just right".  It doesn't project strongly, but it has excellent longevity.

Add Alyssa Ashley Musk to the list of fragrances to wear when you don't care about impressing the world, but just want to smell and feel good.  It's like the Old Spice of musks.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Alyssa Ashley

3 comments:

  1. I've owned this for a number of years and just recently picked up the Eau de Parfum version which is stronger, although the version shown here is plenty potent. As you said, it has very good longevity. I find it, and especially the EdP, a tad more floral than, say, Monsieur Musk or Kiehl's, both of which skew to the dirtier side. I wear it unabashedly since I like these old school musks. The newer white musks such as NEW MUSK FOR MEN are dreadful and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Alyssa Ashley's Musk For Men, with the blue juice? I'm curious about that one?

      Delete
    2. I've not tried the "For Men" version.

      Delete