Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Jovan Musk For Men

Jovan Musk For Men is one of those fragrances I have remind myself to be patient with when I wear it.  That's because the opening smell is just plain awful.  It's a loud, soapy, astringent floral smell that borders on obnoxious.  I couldn't live with myself if I had to smell like this all day.

Fortunately the ordeal only lasts five minutes.  After that, the musk starts to shine.  Jovan's musk falls somewhere between clean white laundry detergent musks and a beastly grade of musk.  It has a crisp, perky, just-shaven/just-showered smell throughout its duration.  It's also very spicy, which I like a lot.  However, it also has a slightly sour, almost sweaty facet that acts as welcome counterpoint to the clean vibe.  During the Seventies, when this was a big hit, Jovan's magazine advertisements for this scent were highly sexualized, practically promising that if you wore it, you'd get laid (e.g., "Jovan Musk Oil For Men.  We make it in Chicago.  So you can make it anywhere in the world").  It's Jovan's sweaty, somewhat dirty side of its aroma that gives it that sexy edge.  

Some people might think Jovan Musk For Men smells dated, but that's likely due to its having been so popular back in the Seventies.  I remember smelling this stuff everywhere when I was a kid.  On the other hand, they don't keep producing this stuff because no one wears it or because it smells bad.  This is a classic, people.  For those of you who weren't around to experience this fragrance back in its heyday, it's time to learn your fragrance history and snag a bottle of this affordable gem.  It is still very wearable and very good, smelling better and better the longer you wear it.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Jovan

6 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Jovan Grass Oil? This was a fav of mine back in my high school days (early 80's). I'll buy good money for a bottle.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried it, but I've heard of it. The prices it gets on ebay are insane.

      Delete
    2. Wow. You're right. I'd pay good money but not THAT much!

      P.

      Delete
  2. Jovan Musk is the best musk I know of for the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I forgot about Aqua Velva Musk it's pretty good for the price.

      Delete
    2. Yes, AV Musk is a pretty good scent. It's a little too simple and tame for my tastes, but it is well made and is a good solid musk. Especially considering you can get a 3.4 oz. bottle at your local supermarket for like $3.99.

      Delete