Friday, November 9, 2012

Max

Max is a knockoff of Devin by Aramis.  It's an unusual choice of fragrance to imitate, considering this style of scent is far from being in vogue.  It makes me even wonder if Al-Rehab intended this to be a knockoff, but its similarity to Devin is so striking.

This is a strong, very bitter green chypre, in an old school style.  It's harsh, astringent and skanky, complete with notes of crushed green plant stems and soiled underpants.  The urinary smell fades after a while, but the green tone remains, and Max smells smoother and richer over time.  The drydown is old school, with bitter oakmoss, patchouli and dry leather - the typical heavy hitters from the 70's and 80's.

I say hats off to Al-Rehab for keeping this old dog in production.  I don't know how long they've been producing Max, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has been in their catalog for a long time.  The general public - especially men - isn't exactly kicking down doors to buy green leather chypres.  Most people today would smell this perfume and think, "Ugh.  It smells like an old lady."  I, on the other hand, love fragrances like this.

Though I like Max, I prefer Devin.  Devin, like Max, is a crisp, dry bitter fragrance, and I prefer having an eau de toilette that I can spray on, rather than a perfume oil that I dab on carefully.  I also find Devin to be a little bit more complex than this, and therefore slightly more interesting.  I also think Devin projects a little stronger than Max.

Despite my preference for Devin, however, Max is still an excellent fragrance, and is a worthwhile purchase for anyone who doesn't own Devin and who loves bitter chypres.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Al-Rehab

No comments:

Post a Comment