Sunday, November 4, 2012

Original Vetiver


You've read the phrase, "one of the greenest scents I know" a lot in my reviews.  That's because I love green fragrances, I actively seek them out, and I've smelled a lot of good ones.  Add Creed's Original Vetiver to the "Greenest" list.

Original Vetiver doesn't strike me initially as a vetiver scent, because it doesn't hit you with the usual bitter, dry punch of vetiver in the beginning.  What you get is more of a beautiful grassy, soapy musk and a smell of fresh green leaves with subtle vetiver in the background.  It's a delightful, uplifting smell that I can't get enough of.  Within about a half hour, the soapy smell recedes, and I can smell the bitterness of the vetiver creeping up to the front.  Before long, you're treated to a lovely fresh, even mossy, vetiver scent, and this is my favorite stage of Original Vetiver.  This excellent middle stage lasts a good three hours or so, before the extended drydown kicks in.  The drydown is also good, though not as good as the middle, with transparent light musk accented by subtle vetiver and green leafy notes I can't identify.

Even though this is an excellent fragrance, I rarely wear it.  I've had my bottle for about four years now, it's still almost full, and it just collects dust.  I look at it, remind myself that it's a quality scent, and move on.  I've had the same experience with all Creed fragrances I've owned, and I've owned nine of them - I'm never in the mood to wear them.  I've traded off most of them, and I'm down to three now, but I'm still holding onto Original Vetiver.  I don't like getting rid of a good green fragrance.

Though Original Vetiver is categorized as a vetiver scent, I'd recommend it more to green fragrance fans than to vetiver freaks.  Though you can smell the vetiver in this, it lacks the strong, astringent, earthy smell that most people look for in a vetiver perfume, and comes off more as an intensely green scent.  I love vetivers and green fragrances, so this suits me just fine.

If leprachauns wore perfume, they'd wear Original Vetiver.

 MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Creed

P.S.  Be careful about buying Original Vetiver on eBay.  There are a lot of counterfeit Creeds being peddled on eBay, and Original Vetiver is one of them.  I know because I got screwed buying one by accident a few years ago.

12 comments:

  1. I love this stuff. It was my first Creed. I went through the bottle in four months. I haven't repurchased it since because I'm afraid if I ever own it again I'll simply not be able to keep my hands off it and blow through it in another four months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, gotta sniff this one again. It seems that 2 years ago when I got into frags, it struck me as somewhat androgynous, but my nose wasn't as adept as it is today. Besides, my first impression of vetiver was cast by Malizia's vetiver (edt & deo spray) which I bought from the supermarket here where I reside. Though you are right in that vetiver is not really the star player (I remember that at least from 2 years ago) in this one despite the name. Could be my personal taste creating a bias; I am one of those who loves the more earthly, astringent versions (Malizia, Villoresi), but I do also like the more balanced ones too. The ones which present some refreshing 'fresh cut grass' on initial blast.

      What do you guys think of Givenchy's Vetiver? It predates Guerlain's Vetiver by a couple of years. Whereas Guerlain's has some citrus/tobacco in there, with Givenchy's I am getting almost pure vetiver with maybe some fleeting black pepper and later some wood notes. Although I understand that the original was the best and that it had been discontinued for a number of years, Givenchy re-released it a couple of years ago. Over the last year or so, I have been testing it whenever I stop by the local drugstore. Unbelievable that several bottles of this classic are simply gathering dust on the shelves there, being passed up for other modern day shoddy Hugo Boss/CK products. This along with Jaguar for men (original green bottle), Cerruti 1881 all discounted and gathering dust.

      Even though this vetiver is the re-released 'Mythiques' collection along with Xeryus, MdG...I can't say that they screwed up anything. I like Givenchy Vetiver; it has a 'dark' earthy side to it. It lasts at least 6 hours on my skin. I think that I will be acquiring a bottle of this soon!

      Delete
    2. Bryan, if I didn't like the scent so much, I'd offer a swap with you, since I never wear it. But it's too good for me to give up. It's one of those scents that I don't wear much, but when I'm in the mood, nothing else satisfies.

      Delete
    3. Kris, I agree that OV is not one I ever think of when I think, "Vetiver". It's one I think of when I think "Green". The vetiver isn't quite the star of the show in this scent. It's not a scent I reach for when I want a vetiver kick.

      Malizia's Vetiver is incredible! It's my second favorite vetiver, behind Guerlain's. I've had a bottle for a couple of years now, and I really need to review Malizia. It's got that bitter sharpness that I look for in a vetiver scent.

      I too prefer the earthy vetivers, though I'm not wild about smoky vetivers. Annick Goutal's Vetiver meets my earthy vetiver needs well, and is my third favorite vetiver. I love it's saltiness too.

      Believe it or not, I have never smelled Guerlain's Vetyver, and I want to. I never see a bottle in any stores, even the high end ones like Saks or Neiman Marcus, so I've not had the opportunity. All I read are glowing reviews of it.

      Delete
    4. It's ok about the swap, I totally understand. if you ever change your mind I can russle together four or five frags and send 'em your way for it. I've never tried Givenchy's Vetiver, but I had a bottle of Guerlain vetiver. It was really good, I liked it, but in the end it was a little too staid for me. I ended up using it to scent my leather jacket.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you give an honest opinion, even if you don't particularly care for the house in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like Creed years ago a lot more than I do now, but I'm always willing to give credit where credit's due, and OV is a great one. I'll be reviewing a few more Creeds that I like as well, but I gave up on Creed a while ago.

      Delete
  3. The only Creed frag I have smelled so far is OV and I loved it. Since the price for Creed is out of my reach I bought Malizia Vetiver for peanuts after you had mentioned it in one of your reviews.That too is a wonderful scent and since Malizia products are dirt cheap here I'd love to trade their products with anyone here who's tired of his/her CREED OV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I think OV is a more elegant fragrance than Malizia Vetiver, I personally like Malizia better. It's a much better vetiver fragrance than OV. Malizia Vetiver is an amazing bargain, a five-star frag. Too many comments about it have been made here on the blog, so it's time for a full review.

      Delete
  4. I had never tried green fragrance or nor even heard about it. Very excited to have this perfume.
    Hedione

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've owned bottles of both If you like OV you'll surely like Mugler Cologne which seems to be the forefather of OV. The difference is in the steam note and Irish spring vibe I get from MC and the richer drydown from OV. Love both but MC gives me the same feeling I get from OV at a better price ( although MC is getting harder to find discounted).

    Love the blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Mugler Cologne seems to be the inspiration for OV. MC is a great fragrance too, and the reason I don't own it is because it's so similar to OV, it would be redundant to own both. Though they're almost the same, I find OV to be a little more complex, and it has the vetiver note that I don't smell much of in Mugler.

      Delete