Monday, November 19, 2012

Sultan

Either I'm anosmic to some of Sultan's charms or Al-Rehab is full of shit, because I smell absolutely no rose or oud in this fragrance.  They also describe this as being a "deep, mystifying aroma", but I don't find a lot of depth here, and it certainly isn't mystifying.  What Sultan is, to my nose at least, is an inoffensive woody scent that makes prominent use of synthetic cedar. 

Sultan almost smells like a knockoff of Quorum Silver, although that would seem like a ridiculous fragrance to knock off - a knockoff of a cheapie?  But enough of my wisecracks, because I actually kind of like this fragrance, even though I'm not a fan of the style.  Al-Rehab manages to add enough natural (or natural smelling) ingredients to this perfume to obscure the harsh, needling nature of the cedar oil, and give it a more or less green, pine-like scent.  There's a bristling vitality to this fragrance that I don't get in any other synthetic cedar-domninant fragrances, so I find this quite wearable and certainly better than the competition (e.g., Quorum Silver, Visit, etc.).  There's a juicy citrus note in here that gives Sultan a natural feel that is lacking in other fragrances of this type.  Sultan smells like pine sap and wood to me, and is enjoyable.

I just wish they chose another synthetic wood besides cedar, though.  I really hate the stuff, and although it's embellished really well here, I can't help but keep remembering that synthetic cedar is the core of this scent, and that bugs me.  However, that's a purely subjective complaint of mine, and I realize most people won't have such hangups.  Give Sultan a try.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Al-Rehab

4 comments:

  1. Can you recommend a really good genuine cedar fragrance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I'm not a good guy to ask. I've actually never smelled a good genuine cedar fragrance. I've smelled really great natural cedar essential oil, but I have yet to try a perfume using natural cedar oil that actually smells like cedar.

      Delete
  2. I also dislike cedar, enough to wonder why they keep insisting on making it the wood of choice in scents like this. But this does sound interesting enough to try. Given how inexpensive these are, it's hard to lose here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sultan doesn't smell much different from the other lousy fake cedar perfumes I've tried, but for some reason it has a nice green, natural smell, like fir, pine or, for that matter, cedar needles. Definitely worth a sniff.

      Delete