Saturday, December 15, 2012

Arabian Nights

For a while, it was hard for anyone in the U.S. to acquire a bottle of Bogart's Arabian Nights.  Finally, it's easy to get, with just about every online retailer selling it to the U.S. for dirt cheap prices.  Was it worth the wait?

Not really.  It's not a horrible fragrance, but it's not very good either.  Arabian Nights is without a doubt a powerhouse (like most Bogart fragrances), but it uses a combination of notes that I don't really like.

First of all, "Arabian Nights" doesn't seem like a fitting name.  I smell no oud in this (not that that's any great loss), and the fragrance lacks any exotic vibe that might justify the name.  It smells cheap and purely synthetic, and not in a good way.  Arabian Nights is both sweet and animalic, a combination I typically don't like.  It smells like grape jelly beans mixed with a note that smells like a cross between halitosis and an unwiped ass crack.  It sounds weird, and it is.  It's even nauseating at times, particularly in the opening, with its grape hairspray scent.  Ultimately, the combination becomes tolerable, particularly in the drydown, where the sweet and skanky seem to co-exist fairly well and the chemical smell is tolerable. 

Arabian Nights is not a fragrance I expect to wear very often, mainly due to its sweet, chemical smell.  However, I love its audacity.  This is a loud, brash scent, similar to One Man Show Gold Edition.  You will not find many, if any, other men wearing this bomb.  If this were in mainstream department stores, I would expect most guys to recoil upon first sniff.  I did.

Sometimes I like to wear a nutzo fragrance just for its brash character.  Arabian Nights is for those times.

MY RATING:  6/10

Fragrance House:  Jacques Bogart

9 comments:

  1. I was just wondering about this one yesterday. I think I will pass, but it still sounds kind of interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Cuba Royal, you might actually like it, since it has that same sweetness, only with the bad breath/dirty ass smell added to it. Of course any fragrance is worth at least trying, but don't waste your money blind buying this.

      Delete
  2. You should try Caron's Yatagan if you like brash... I've got a sample of it and I occasionally apply some of it on my hand. Still can't get used to it. Will I ever wear it? Don't think so, but strange as it may seem I find myself drawn to it...
    Smells like? Well it's so unique I can tell you what it doesn't smell like. It doesn't smell sweet, fuity, pretty, acquatic or even edible. It's nothing like what's currently on offer in department stores or perfume shop. Consider yourself warned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Yatagan! It's one of my favorite fragrances. I don't ind it brash, though. Bold and daring, yes.

      Delete
  3. Yatagan is right in my wheelhouse actuallty, but I have never gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a huge fan of Bogart Pour Homme & One Man Show Gold, I had high hopes for Arabian Nights. I bought it and gave it a try and was totally disappointed. Its just a synthetic mess unfortunately. I tried it for over a week and just did not grow on me at all. Resold it on Ebay and have no regrets. Its definitely not a blind buy thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helpful review. Think I'll steer clear of this one, much as I like this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Bogart's older frags, from Eau Fresh to those before that. I don't like the direction they're going in these days, which is in a heavy sweet direction (e.g., Arabian Nights, City Tower, Bogart Pour Homme, One Man Show Gold)

      Delete