Friday, December 28, 2012

Mouchoir de Monsieur

Well here it is, the darling of fragrance snobs around the world: Mouchoir de Monsieur.  I'll confess that I wasn't expecting to like this, after reading so many reviews describing it as a take on Jicky.  And you know what?  They're right!  I don't like it!

I hate prissy, pretentious crap like this - you know, stuff like Ungaro II, Eau d'Hermes, Le Troisieme Homme, and now Mouchoir de Monsieur.  Adding a ton of civet to lavender doesn't automatically make a perfume smell refined, sophisticated, or even good.  Mouchoir de Monsieur smells initially like lavender mixed with bad breath.  Then the lemon and vanilla mix with the civet to create a truly nauseating experience.  This really does smell a lot like Jicky, only a little sweeter.  This is definitely not the way I like my lavender to smell.

Wearing Mouchoir de Monsieur doesn't make you better or more sophisticated than someone who wears Drakkar Noir or Brut, nor does it mean you have better taste.  I don't care what Luca Turin says.  Mouchoir de Monsieur smells like the signature fragrance of an uptight fop. 

If you like talking to people with your teeth clenched, or you want to smell like you have a pole up your ass, then this is for you.

I hate this scent.

MY RATING:  4/10

Fragrance House:  Guerlain

7 comments:

  1. I'm guilty on the count of loving Le Troisieme Homme - I think it's amazing! But I must admit that my motivation for ever trying Mouchoir isn't so great. I've seen it compared heavily to Egoiste also, another fragrance that seems severely overrated. I know you appreciate civet when used in the proper context, so for you to hate this must mean they really handled it poorly. Does it give you one of those weird "dandy" vibes? Something Tom Wolfe would wear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a dandy's fragrance? ABSOLUTELY!!! You nailed it. Mouchoir de Monsieur is, to me, the most dandified fragrance I've ever smelled, and that's what I hate about it. I like some dandyman frags - Equipage, Jaipur Homme, Chevalier d'Orsay, e.g. - but this is just over the top. I don't want to come off like Prince Charles.

    This is LOADED with civet, just like Jicky, but I wouldn't say it's poorly used. I find that most fragrances for men that use civet are deliberately trying to create an upper crust, dandified effect. It's an effect I personally can't stand. I like civet when it's used in raw macho man frags like Kouros or Connect For Men.

    I know I'm in the tiny minority of guys who don't like Troisieme Homme. I bought a bottle blind years ago, hated it, and gave it to my wife. She wears it, and it smells really good on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm surprised you don't like 3rd Man! It's one of my Five Desert Island frags. Never tried MdM but I really like G's Habit Rouge and Vetiver. Tried Dior's Eau Sauvage Parfum over the weekend and now it's on my To Buy List. There's something about that root beer accord I enjoy. Sort of a spicy/licorice take on Jaipur.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I didn't like 3rd Homme too, since I was expecting to like it after all the reviews. Can't stand the stuff. I do like Habit Rouge a lot (always have), and I love Guerlain's Vetiver. I think it's the best vetiver ever made.

      Delete
  4. When I heard it was similar to Jicky I lost interest in trying to obtain a sample. These scents tend to be too simple to make the sharp or ultra-strong notes bearable. I find that very old "women's" ones work considerably better. For example, I recently acquired a very old bottle of Intoxication by D'Orsay and have no problem wearing, though probably not in public. The reason seems to be that they are more complex and have better balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't like Jicky, I can almost guarantee you won't like this. They're almost identical. However, I don't find it all that sharp smelling. I like lavender to smell sharper than this.

      Delete
  5. I usually agree with your take, but I have to diverge on this one. I haven't given this a full on, all day wearing so I'm coming from a somewhat limited perspective. I've sprayed a bit on my arm when I've seen it, most recently over the past long weekend at the Guerlain shop in Las Vegas. I like it from what I have smelled. It is similar to Jicky but Jicky goes to the vanilla shake card quite early and I didn't get that from Mouchoir. I'm pretty far from an Ivy League rich kid, but I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable wearing MdM. I probably should order a decant and give it a few wearings before I make a final decision. As we both know, sometimes we'll do a complete 180 on a fragrance with a bit more time.

    ReplyDelete