Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pino Silvestre Sport

Pino Silvestre Sport has been out for a few years now and is easily available, yet there are hardly any reviews on it.  Therefore I'm pleased to put in my two cents on this excellent scent.  Pino Sport is a worthy addition to the Pino Silvestre lineage, and one that Mavive can be proud of.

Let me get one thing out of the way first: there are no pine notes in Pino Sport.  In fact, I smell nothing that even resembles any evergreen or coniferous notes in it.  That's okay, however, because like the original Pino Silvestre, Sport is Mediterranean sunshine in a bottle.  It's a hardcore citrus fragrance, smelling like lemon, oranges and orange peel on top of very soft, subdued floral notes.  This is not a floral fragrance - the florals are there only to extend the sunny citrus effects for several hours, and they add softness and depth to the perfume.  It also doesn't smell like a sport fragrance either, since there are no aquatic or metallic notes, and everything in it smells 100% natural, even if it does contain some synthetics.

Don't be afraid of the dominant orange notes either, because the fragrance isn't very sweet.  Pino Sport is light and dry.  It doesn't smell like the original Pino Silvestre because it's not herbal, but it projects the same delightful Mediterranean aura, so you can tell the two fragrances are from the same family.  To me it smells like a somewhat less refined version of Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal, actually.  It's not a sillage monster, but it has excellent longevity for a citrus scent, lasting about 6 or 7 hours on my skin.

I'm hoping more people will try out Pino Silvestre Sport, which in turn I hope will get more people to buy it, and thus inspire Mavive to keep it in production.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Mavive

5 comments:

  1. I haven't considered buying this as I suspected it was simply the original jacked-up with the standard 'sport' elements (calone, and assorted aquatic notes, et al). I do, however, enjoy citrus notes and now have this on order. (Thanks again!) The beauty of Pino are the 'old school' qualities combined combined with a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like citrus, you'll definitely like this. Nothing sporty about it at all, other than its freshness. Doesn't smell like a designer fragrance, but more of a long lasting, rather unique Mediterranean eau de cologne that has good staying power.

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I love a good citrus fragrance. How would you rate this against, say, Roger & Gallet Extra Veille? Or even just 4711?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it much better than 4711 or R&G. Pino Sport is more complex, longer lasting, and just smells better and a lot more interesting than those other two. I don't like R&G at all - bores me to tears - and although I like 4711, it's a lot less interesting than Pino Sport. Pino Sport is sweeter than those two, and much softer, due to the floral notes.

      Delete