Monday, February 18, 2013

Phoenix by Keith Urban


This fragrance was on super clearance in a lot of drugstores in my area right after Christmas.   My wife saw a gift set at Walgreens for like five bucks, so she bought it for me for the hell of it.   I don't like country music and I know nothing about this guy Urban, but this is a pretty good scent.

The top notes and middle stage are incredibly good - leather and patchouli blended with a little bit of coffee or chocolate and some spicy notes.   It's strong and masculine, and the sweetness adds to the sense of weight and virility of the scent, rather than being overly sweet.   The first half hour actually reminds me of Shiseido's old discontinued 80's powerhouse scent Basala, only darker and sweeter.   It's really a great fragrance for about 45 minutes.

Phoenix' Achilles Heel is the drydown, which smells sort of weak and flat.   It's kind of a brown-hued, powdery, amorphous, blob-like smell that's hard to define.   Up close to your skin, it smells synthetic and cheap, sort of like the drydown in Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir Bois Precieux, though nowhere nearly as bad.   However, if you resist the temptation to sniff your wrist up close, the drydown is decent, and because Phoenix projects well, you can enjoy just walking around wearing it and smelling its radiant scent.   In this way, it smells like an afterthought of the awesome spicy leather opening and middles stages.   It's warm, brown and masculine, and smells okay.

Phoenix is an inexpensive drugstore fragrance, so you won't be risking much by purchasing it without trying it first. I do encourage you to try it, because it has a lot of great things going on, and I suspect it may just be that the drydown doesn't react well with my skin.   Other reviews of it have been mostly positive.

MY RATING: 6.5/10

Fragrance House: Keith Urban

P.S., If you decide to get this, buy the gift set. The shower gel is awesome, smelling even better than the fragrance itself, and it layers really well with the cologne.

2 comments:

  1. You're spot on. It's sort of a poor man's Burberry London to my nose. For the price, it's worth a sniff. The cheap chocolate note was a bit too much for me. Gourmand just doesn't ring my bell. I gave my bottle to a friend who likes sweet frags and he enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I agree with the Burberry London comparison, now that I think about it. I could swear there's a tobacco note in this, but it's not listed as a note. I'm not a big fan of gourmands either, but I don't find the chocolate note all that strong. Actually, I barely smell it after the first 15 minutes.

    I'm going to keep wearing this, because I find I like it a little bit more every time I do.

    ReplyDelete