Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tabaco Latino

This is going to be a brief review because this fragrance is straightforward and simple.  It's tobacco, and that's it.

The simplicity of Tabaco Latino is both good and bad.  The good thing is that tobacco fragrances smell really good, and there's no question that's all this is.  It's neither a dark bitter tobacco note (like in Quorum) nor a heavy sweet pipe tobacco accord.  We're talking about a semi-sweet, dry, woody tobacco accord, like what you smell in The Dreamer (Versace), Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme or the base of Bogart Pour Homme.  I think I've described it before as the smell of unsmoked cigarettes.  It's not my favorite type of tobacco accord, but I do like it.  I personally prefer the bitter cigar tobacco note you get in Quorum, but so be it.

And that's all you get.  Other than a teeny burst of citrus in the very beginning, all you smell from beginning to end is the same tobacco scent, with no development whatsoever.  It's a well made fragrance that smells quite good, but smelling exactly the same thing for 15 hours (yes, longevity is that good) can wear you out.

Despite its tiresome linearity, I do like Tabaco Latino and recommend it to fans of tobacco fragrances.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Monotheme, Mavive

2 comments:

  1. I've been giving out a lot of samples of this scent, since I have a couple extra bottles to swap, so it looks like one may have made its way to you. LOL. The official "blurb" was:

    "TOBACCO LATINO, the sweet and familiar aroma of the famous Cuban cigars. The base note, in which the rustic freshness of laurel, and clary sage is complemented by a touch of rum, and leads to a delicately flowery heart of lily of the valley, and freesia, complemented by the fruity tones of coconut, and raspberry. The richly woody background notes of vetiver, sandalwood, and cedarwood highlight the tobacco note, sweetened with a touch of honey."

    I would compare it to Cuba Red, in the sense that CR is rather bare and woody, whereas TL definitely has quite a bit of sweetness to it, along with the floral notes, which are perhaps less obvious than the sweetness. I'd also say the tobacco/sandalwood in TL is more natural than CR's woodiness. It's not quite niche quality, but I've found TL to be more popular with women than men, in terms of who wanted to do swaps with me after sampling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a fragrance that can smell both masculine and feminine, so I'm not surprised a lot of women are wearing it. I don't disagree with your description of its smell - it does smell woody and floral. I've come to accept this one of the so-called "tobacco accords" that the industry markets as being "tobacco". Although I've described it as the smell of unsmoked cigarettes, I really had to stretch my imagination to figure out that description, because in reality, I can't say I've ever smelled any kind of tobacco that smells exactly like this.

      Delete