Monday, March 4, 2013

Tobacco 1800


Like most so-called tobacco fragrances, this one does not smell like tobacco.   It's not even close.   However, that's not to say it isn't any good. In fact, this is a great scent.

From beginning to end, Tobacco 1800 smells almost exactly like the drydown of Kouros.   I would even go so far as to call this a Kouros knockoff, only a lot lighter than it.   The unmistakable accord of musk, honey, civet, incense, moss and patchouli that you get in the tail end of Kouros is exactly what Tobacco 1800 delivers, and it delivers it admirably, as the scent stays rock solid and never goes to mush. I  only expect Kouros fans to want to try this scent, so there's no need for me to reiterate how awesome the Kouros drydown smells.

Granted, Kouros is a superpowerful fragrance, and when I wear it, I want the whole neighborhood to smell it.  Even though Tobacco 1800 lacks the strength of Kouros, I do have a use for this cologne.   Because it doesn't have brutal sillage, it's perfect to splash on after a shower or bath at night, when I'm just relaxing at home, ready to go to bed.   Sometimes I want to smell Kouros at night but don't want to wear something so powerful at the end of the day; I don't want to taste my cologne when I wake up in the morning.  Tobacco 1800 is perfect for those times.

For a "cologne water", this has surprising strength.  Though it doesn't have powerhouse projection, it's not quite what I'd call a skin scent either. Staying power is also good for a cologne water, lasting about five hours on my skin, perfect for wearing at the end of a long day. Great fragrance here.

MY RATING: 8.5/10
Fragrance House: Crusellas

5 comments:

  1. I just ordered this yesterday ($7.00 for 4.0oz on eBay) after searching high and low for Tabac Latino. I looked everywhere to no avail.

    Glad to hear this is a good buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this is definitely a good buy. I just don't smell any tobacco in it. Hope you're a Kouros fan!

      I think TL has been discontinued. I looked on their website, as well as retailers in Europe that carry this line, and it's nowhere to be found. Even Perfumania's website says they're out of stock. If I were you, do a swap with Bigsly.

      Delete
  2. @John: I've got a couple extra bottles of Tobaco Latino for swap or sale. I am Bigsly at Fragrantica and BN, so you can contact me there.

    @shamu1: Is this is new product, or is there just "old stock" on the market now? Also, how would you describe the quality of the ingredients? Any "laundry musk?" Is the patchouli strong and camphorous? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No this looks like a pretty old fragrance, at least 80s, since the similarity to Kouros is so striking. Crusellas is an old company from Cuba that moved to Miami back in the 50s, and they're still at it. They have a whole line of cologne waters, and I'm planning on reviewing a bunch of them.

      If you like Kouros' drydown, you'll like this. It's not all that strong, and it has no top notes to speak of. Seriously, it smells just like the Kouros drydown. The patchouli isn't camphorous, but rather blended in with everything else. The musk is of the dirty, animalic sort, not laundry musk at all. The ingredients seem to be so-so, certainly not Chanel or Guerlain quality, but the fragrance holds up really well over time. I was expecting to smell a blast of synthetic citrus top notes for 5 minutes, then a big boring blob, but I don't get that at all. At $7 for 8 oz., it's worth a try.

      Delete
  3. Someone is selling a 32oz (yes..32oz - 944ml!!!!!!!!) bottle of this on eBay for $15.00 (£9.95) - what the?! If the UK shipping wasn't $31.00 (£20.00) I'd be buying this to bathe in and water my plants with!!!!

    ReplyDelete