Sunday, January 31, 2016

Cigar

No blog about men’s colognes is complete without a review of Cigar.  This is just one of the coolest fragrances ever.  Look at the packaging and the bottle – how awesome is that?  The scent is just as awesome.

Tobacco is such a great perfume accord.  In women’s perfumes it smells sexy and ultra-feminine, and in men’s fragrances, its smells totally virile.  Not surprisingly, Cigar smells ultra-manly.

Its depiction of tobacco is very realistic.  Cigar makes careful use of patchouli, cedar, pepper, leather and amber to create something that smells almost exactly like a wooden humidor full of fine quality cigars.  This isn’t some cardboard box of White Owls – we’re talking about a nice cedar humidor full of Partagas and Davidoffs.  Cigar even captures, somehow, the slight dampness of the inside of a humidor.  I don’t know how they do it, but Cigar manages to have a subtly moist aroma, essential in any good tobacco fragrance.

If you already own Remy Latour’s Cigar Commander, I can tell you that the scents are similar – they both depict tobacco realistically – but they’re different enough to warrant owning both, that is, if you love tobacco fragrances.  Whereas Cigar is woody and spicy, Commander is greener and a little more herbal.  I own and wear both.

It’s not a powerhouse, but Cigar is both long lasting and projects well.  It manages to smell both aromatic and smooth, which I don’t get in a lot of perfumes.  It has an addictive scent, one that I can’t get enough of.  I need to wear Cigar more often than I do.


MY RATING:  8.5/10

16 comments:

  1. A nice fragrance and a fantastic price. I recently tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I always passed on it in the past because it was always on counters readily available. I guess I assumed it was inferior subconsciously? Thankfully I gave it a shot and really like it. Glad to see a new review on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always put this to the bottom of my 'to-buy' list as I wasn't sure how close it was to Cuba Red which I already own. Is this different enough to warrant owning both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuba Red and Cigar are similar, but not identical. Cuba Red is spicier than Cigar, whereas Cigar is smoother. Cigar smells a lot like Krizia's Moods Uomo. I own both, and I don't regret it. Not essential, though.

      Delete
  3. I bought this because you had mentioned it a few years earlier here on your blog. Since then I have bought lots of other scents,but this has become my personal Number One. I don't use it very often,either and each time I do it just blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If truth be told, 8,5 is just not enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the scent is awesome. However, the reason I didn't give this a higher rating is simply because there's almost no development over time. The scent smells exactly the same from the minute you put it on, through the next 12 hours, and it sometimes gets a little tiresome to smell. That's why I don't wear it more often.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Shamu - I love Krizia Moods Uomo but only have a small sample bottle and have never been able to track down a full one. Knowing that this is similar (and much less expensive!) I may get this instead. I've always thought that Moods Uomo had that 'damp' aspect you mention in respect of tobacco frags. Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba has it too from memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Derbyman-Lots of Moods Uomo bottles available on "that auction site"! Got one myself (aftershave) and love it.

      Delete
  6. While Cigar is my Number One simply because it smells divine, Krizia Moods Uomo together with Azzaro is for me the most perfectly grafted perfume I have come across so far. Being familiar with Azzaro since my teen years, I would never have discovered Moods without shammu's review. The price here in Germany for Cigar or Moods is almost the same...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shamu, welcome back!
    I'm a fan of both Cigar and Moods and your observation about the dampness aspect is spot on. Karen Low's Cut Cigar is another cheapie that does the same thing, but might be even more lifelike and "wet." It smells like tobacco leaves coated with morning dew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I've never heard of Cigar Cut. Sounds like my kind of tobacco frag. Where can I find it online?

      Delete
  8. Try www.okperfumes.com. I paid $10 for a bottle a couple of years ago in Las Vegas. There's a bottle on ebay now for $43, but that's overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remy Latour out out a couple of new scents which supposedly smell like Tobacco Vanille, and i think one from By Kilian, though not sure. One is Cigar Black Wood. Other night be Black Wood?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kindly also review Cigar Black Wood and Cigar Black oud

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I humbly request Shamu to review black oud too.

    ReplyDelete