Monday, February 1, 2016

Versace L'Homme, Revisited

Due to popular demand, as well as my own curiosity, I’m revisiting this old warhorse: Versace L’Homme.  I’ve had a bottle of this juice for a few years now, but I don’t think I’ve worn this in like three years.  I never really liked it that much, but I've seen so many positive reviews of it, my curiosity was piqued.  I have the current reformulated version.  I’ve never smelled any of the older versions.

It still smells the same way I remember it from three years ago – dry and woody, but heavy and loud.  I was hoping I’d detect the oakmoss, labdanum, patchouli, and all the other notes people talk about with this one, but I don’t.

It's growing on me, though.  I think I had the wrong expectations about it before.  Because it’s an 80s scent, I expected a typical leather and moss-dominant powerhouse, but that’s not really what this is.  Versace L’Homme, to me, smells a bit more refined and restrained than, say, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui.  It’s certainly a powerhouse, no question about that, but it’s not as brash as most.  It's relatively conservative, which is something I did NOT expect from an 80's scent, and especially from a daring designer like Gianni Versace.

Oh, and it’s masculine too, that’s for sure.  I cannot imagine any woman wanting to sneak a spritz of this.  However, it’s more this kind of masculine:




rather than this:


I really like the drydown.  I can sort of smell the leather by then, but it’s so well blended with what I'm guessing is cedar, patchouli, labdanum, amber and moss, it's impossible for me to distinguish any of the notes.  Whatever it is, it smells warm and rich, but still dry.  I’m not used to smelling leather this dry.  I like it a lot.

I'm surprised most reviewers don't mention how strong this is.  I did one spritz on the back of my hand this morning, and it's still pumping out the aroma seven hours later.  I find this fragrance very strong, and worthy of the powerhouse label.

Back in the mid-nineties, when I was just out of law school, my Dad and I were members of this group called “The Esquire Smokers Club”.  We were nothing more than a bunch of guys who'd get together at a restaurant every few months, smoke cigars and shoot the shit.  Most of the guys were a lot older than me, and it was primarily a group of lawyers, doctors, businessmen, and politicians.  We’d wear tuxedos for our cigar meetings too, and drink Scotch and martinis.  Versace L’Homme would have been the perfect frag to wear at one of those meetings.  Those were good times, and this fragrance brings back some nice memories for me.

Thumbs up for Versace L’Homme now.


MY RATING:  8/10


UPDATE 2/2/16

I'm actually wearing Versace L'Homme today, not just sampling it, and I'm really enjoying it!  It still smells the same as I remember it, but for some reason I really like it now.  I think I finally "get it" with this scent.

I probably had chronic olfactory fatigue a few years ago from extended exposure to Lapidus Pour Homme.

NEW RATING:  9/10

12 comments:

  1. Great review. I really love this scent and can't think of many like it. Some parts remind me of different scents (like the opening reminding me a bit of Armani Pour Homme, and, surprisingly, the drydown actually seems like it influenced YSL's La Nuit).
    I'm normally not big on this house as a whole, but this is a magnificent fragrance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revisiting scents can be a good idea--it sounds like it paid off for you with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it paid off. I don't know where my brain was all these years. I'm really loving this frag now. I put it on at 7:00 this morning. It's now 9:00 pm, 14 hours later, and it's still going strong. I can't believe that this new version is considered watered down by some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Wow--you just may have inspired a blind buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another bottle ordered thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another bottle ordered thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you enjoy the current version, you will really love the vintage and even the first reformulation of this beauty. Yes, there is a difference and I usually don't get sucked into and pay much attention to reformulation debates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, thanks shamu. I have the same stuff and it's just as you describe and goes on forever! Love the "Esquire Smokers Club" story - I always remember you describing this type of thing in relation to Davidoff's original 1984 fragrance. I still imagine sitting in a leather chesterfield armchair in an oak panelled room full of fine cigar smoke whenever I wear this fragrance....great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review.i ordered today from ebay and will be waiting eagerly for this gem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vintage Versace L'Homme is one of the best of the 80s male fragrances, in my opinion (I was there, and wore a lot of them!). I have a good recollection of the many compliments I got from women when I had this on... vintage Bel Ami, Antaeus, and Balenciaga Pour Homme were/are winners as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog! Great post, I just recently tried a similar product that I received for free from perfumora.com. Will buy this one next time!

    ReplyDelete